Saturday, June 2, 2012

Gold Fish Chicken


Born in the former Czechoslovakia I was pretty much raised on schnitzels of any kind. Chicken, veal, pork...you name it. We just loved them all. Our favorite snacks (yes we use to bring snacks in form of big sandwiches to school) were schnitzel sandwiches. We ate them with potato salad, mashed potatoes, and lots of pickles. After moving away from what is now called Czech Republic, I started eating much different. No more schnitzels and fried food. But I couldn't help it and introduced my childhood dream food to my son and started making schnitzels for him.  It seems as that is the only meat he will eat. In case you are wondering, he categorizes him self as "Pastavore."


A mom on my son's baseball team once told me how she breads her chicken in crumbs of gold fish snacks and bakes them. So I also gave it a try and put a new twist on my meal.  It is so fast and since we try to eat super healthy, I'm not concerned with the nutritional value. My picky eater gets a protein in him and I'm happy. After all, we live only once. Hope your boys and girls will enjoy this as much as my Pastavore. I serve them with mashed potatoes and cucumber salad. Yes, Czech Style!!



Ingredients:
1-2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of  white flour
2 cups of gold fish snacks
2 breast of chicken
salt+pepper
oil for frying if you choose to do so



Directions:
The fun part is to prepare the crumbs with your kids. Put the snacks in the zip lock bag and have them crush it with meat tenderizer. Put it in a bowl. Slice up the meat into small strips and lay them flat. Sprinkle with generous amount of salt and little bit of pepper on both sides. Drench them in white flour and dip in the egg mix. Finish the tenders with coating of prepared golf fish crumbs.

You are ready to go. So simple, right? To cook them, either bake in oven on about 400F for about 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the meat or fry them. I fry mine. I have been using grape seed oil and it seems to work but in the past I also used canola or safflower oil. You will have to try to see what you like better. Do not over cook them since you want the meat to be nice and juicy. Please let me know how your kids liked this chicken recipe.  Would you rather have have a "Happy Meal"?  Enjoy!

/all photos by me/





No comments:

Post a Comment