Saturday, May 26, 2012

Baked kale chips


Dinosaur Kale Chips


So I'm not sure about what type of weather you are having, but it is looking pretty gloomy for the long weekend here. Not really in mood for firing up the grill but thought of making something healthy and also yummy. I came up with this coconut walnut baked kale chip recipe. Kale has been know as one of the super foods and I happen to like that family. Yes, I'm one of the lucky people who salivate over quinoa and get excited with discovery of a Dinosaur version of kale. But don't forget I get as excited when pouring a glass of wine or tasting a Red Velvet Cake. I'm just a believer that you can have it all!
Unfortunately my family doesn't share the same taste with me and I have been called couple times "The one with appetite of a horse"...and so I hope that there are more of you out there who I can share the passion for some "horse food" with.  I used the leftovers as a crunchy topping on my dinner salad and must say that it was delicious too.




Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
2 Tbsp of finely chopped walnuts 
2 Tbsp of natural coconut flakes
For extra amount of Omega-3's I sprinkled it with a some chia seeds! They added extra crunch.





Directions:
Preheat an oven to 350F.
Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Wash your kale under cold running water. You can use your salad spinner to get the water out and just lay it out on the kitchen towel for little bit  to make sure the leaves are dry. Melt the coconut oil. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems. Tear into bite size pieces.  
Put the dry kale in a bow and drizzle with melted coconut oil. Mix in the walnuts pieces, coconuts and don't forget the chia seeds if you like. Spread it in one layer on the prepared cookie sheet and bake until the edges are brown but not burned for about 10-15 mins.
Let the chips cool off and please enjoy the Super Food Snack as much as a horse would!





No comments:

Post a Comment